The McDonnell Douglas F-4 Phantom II is a tandem two-seat, twin-engine, all-weather, long-range supersonic jet interceptor and fighter-bomber originally developed for the United States Navy by McDonnell Aircraft.
It first entered service in 1960 with the U.S. Navy. Proving highly adaptable, it was also adopted by the U.S. Marine Corps and the U.S. Air Force, and by the mid-1960s had become a major part of their air arms. The Phantom is a large fighter with a top speed of over Mach 2.2. It can carry more than 18,000 pounds (8,400 kg) of weapons on nine external hardpoints, including air-to-air missiles, air-to-ground missiles, and various bombs.
The F-4, like other interceptors of its time, was designed without an internal cannon. Later models incorporated an M61 Vulcan rotary cannon. Beginning in 1959, it set 15 world records for in-flight performance, including an absolute speed record, and an absolute altitude record.
-AG 2 For Release Secondary Fuel Tank
- Successors 1 airplane(s)
- Created On Windows
- Wingspan 37.8ft (11.5m)
- Length 51.3ft (15.6m)
- Height 16.2ft (4.9m)
- Empty Weight 27,432lbs (12,443kg)
- Loaded Weight 48,575lbs (22,033kg)
- Power/Weight Ratio 1.387
- Wing Loading 165.9lbs/ft2 (810.2kg/m2)
- Wing Area 292.7ft2 (27.2m2)
- Drag Points 8195
- Number of Parts 270
- Control Surfaces 5