We have started working on the SimplePlanes 1.8 update and one thing we really want to do is upgrade the version of Unity that we are using. SP is currently using an ancient version (v5.3.6) and we'd like to upgrade to the latest version, which is v2018.3. Game engines are like people in that they can get old and crusty if you don't update them often.
As with all updates to the Unity game engine, we are concerned about any unforeseen consequences this might have on existing airplanes and mods. We've been testing for about a week now and we haven't noticed any major issues, so we are asking you to help. Players are brilliant at testing and identifying all the ways in which we have failed as software developers.
If you'd like to help us test, go grab the beta and if you find any issues let us know using this Bug Report Form.
This update doesn't include any new features (that's why it's the Lamest Beta Ever), but it's very important that we identify any potential issues with the upgrade as early as possible, so that's why we're releasing it at the beginning of our update cycle.
- If you are concerned about losing data (such as planes, settings, unlocked locations), I highly recommend backing it up before trying the beta. There is always risk of losing data during betas. If that makes you uncomfortable, I'd recommend not trying the beta right now.
Data folder: %APPDATA%..\LocalLow\Jundroo\SimplePlanes\
What to test
- Test as many airplanes as you can and make sure they feel like they are flying and behaving the same as they do in 1.7
- Test as many mods as you can and let us know if you find any mods that are broken.
- Test the races, combat missions, and challenges
- How is the performance? Do you feel the game is running faster, slower, or roughly the same?
- Opening a downloaded .splane or .spmod file does not currently work while the game is running.
- The view cannot be rotated while the game is paused. Sorry about that!
- Some mods will have graphical problems due to shader changes between Unity 5.3.6 and 2018.3. If you find any mods with a graphical issue, please let us know and we will do what we can to fix the problem from our end. Sometimes this won't be possible and it will require the mod author to update their mod. We don't have mod tools available yet for 2018.3, but we will try and get those out soon. Right now we are just focusing on identifying what is busted.
Thanks for helping us test!
How to get Beta
- Open the Steam client and go to your Library
- Right click on SimplePlanes and select Properties
- Go to the Betas tab
- Select Experimental from the beta dropdown
- Click Close
Go to this link and opt-in to beta test.
Go to here to get started.