This Ocean Floor Explorer has been designed to explore the ocean floor using only instruments for navigation. Ie. it has been designed to navigate most extreme terrains. It can drive on 90 degree angles, get over most sharp edges, can deploy various signals and has slow descent. Maximum depth tested was under 10,000 ft.
it can be used to explore the ocean floor and also cross between islands. It has been able to navigate between many islands and land masses, however it has been unable to reach the Island to the east of Wright airport where the depth exceeds 10,000ft and vast chasms must exist.
The main thing when navigating to to keep it on a set heading and monitor the speed. Keep it in the 30’s mph when descending.
- VTOL up/down = forward reverse (for subsea).
- AG1 speed boost. Use briefly and only when apparently stuck. If this doesn’t work then reverse and change course.
- AG2 for comms. equipment.
- AG3 to release signal buoy (use flares when deployed to locate).
- AG4 to release second signal buoy (use flares when deployed to locate).
- AG5 to deploy subsea monitoring equipment including flare launcher and light panel
- AG6 to launch life raft.
- AG7 to release trailer and deploy chutes in case of emergencies.
- AG8 to turn off down force, gyro’s and lights.
- TRIM provides a front jack should the vehicle become stuck. Use while reversing.
- The conventional engines (throttle) can be used while on land.
- If restarting underwater you will need to wait for the main engines to surface before you can operate the vehicle.
- It is sometimes difficult to determine if you are moving forward or backward due to the speed gauge not providing an indication of this.
- Make sure all equipment is stowed correctly, otherwise things like loose office chairs and laptops can bang around inside the cabin.
Lower part version:
- Created On OSX
- Wingspan 29.7ft (9.1m)
- Length 68.4ft (20.8m)
- Height 18.9ft (5.8m)
- Empty Weight 21,591lbs (9,793kg)
- Loaded Weight 21,591lbs (9,793kg)
- Power/Weight Ratio 1.248
- Wing Loading 59.3lbs/ft2 (289.6kg/m2)
- Wing Area 364.0ft2 (33.8m2)
- Drag Points 24442
- Number of Parts 1064
- Control Surfaces 0