My entry into BogdanX’s Cannon Challenge. Just on time!
VTOL - Gun traverse.
Throttle - Gun elevation.
Pitch - Carriage elevation.
FireWeapons - Fire cannon.
Trim - Rangefinder adjustment.
Cockpit View - Gunner Seat.
Camera 1 - Gunsight.
* Each large mil is calibrated to 400m. Max 2400m. Zoom mod highly recommended.
Camera 2 - Rangefinder 1.
* Adjust sight onto target, using gun traverse (VTOL).
Camera 3 - Rangefinder 2.
* Also adjust sight onto target, using rangefinder adjustment (TRIM).
Camera 4 - Assistant Gunner Seat.
* First system displays rangefinder-found range. Somewhat inaccurate, do not rely on it.
* Second system displays approximate horizontal travel of shell given current elevation.
Intricate details - trigger, elevation/traverse wheels, breech etc.
Well, that was a quick build… I was originally planning to do something a bit different, but complications arose and this is the result of it. I built this taking heavy inspiration from the Pak40 mounts, but with new little features made with physics and funky trees.
The rangefinder works… to a certain extent. It’s a coincidence rangefinder, so its effectiveness is largely limited by the length of the system, which obviously was not that long. Just think of it as a nice little feature.
Also, the gunsight. Ah, probably the best thing in this system (aside from the recoil system- that looks juicy). It’s made with the formula Ø = asin((Range * g)/v^2)/2, where range is the respective range for the mil and v the muzzle velocity of the gun. g is obviously the gravitational constant. I rotated mils around the viewpoint of the gunsight by Ø degrees to make it, and it works perfectly. Awesome.
Also, this build is a testbed for my new number display mechanism- you'll see them in the assistant gunner view. Pretty neat, eh?
It’s honestly not the best quality in terms of features (that I usually make), but for aesthetics… This time I tried harder than I ever did. Hopefully it looks real nice to you as well.
Well, that’s it!
Have fun, as always.
- Created On Mac
- Wingspan 11.9ft (3.6m)
- Length 17.3ft (5.3m)
- Height 4.2ft (1.3m)
- Empty Weight 4,719lbs (2,140kg)
- Loaded Weight 4,719lbs (2,140kg)
- Wing Loading -439,839.3lbs/ft2 (-2,147,483.6kg/m2)
- Wing Area 0.0ft2 (0.0m2)
- Drag Points 302
- Number of Parts 857
- Control Surfaces 0