Warning : This post is already outdated since I re-made all the flight model, explosionScale and targetingAngle properties. I am likely to release a new version, hardcore realistic, quite soon.
The missile :
Sadly, I'm not gonna talk about the history of the Sidewinder, everyone knows how to use Wikipedia.
But instead I'll tell you about the build.
Now, how do you use it in the designer ?
- First, grab the missile of your choice by the black circle on its top (in red on the following image) (also, note that this circle is the black space you can see in the "bathroom scale" part of the description) :
- Create a subassembly.
- To install on your build, drag the assembly, still with the circle, and put it under the pylon of your aicraft. Be careful, the missile's fins could connect to the wings of your aircraft.
In game : (behavior based on War Thunder)
- By default, toggle
- After 4 seconds, the missiles are ready and will lock instantly if pointed correctly.
- Be quick, the missile will "overheat" and shut itself off 10 seconds after being ready to lock if both missiles haven't been fired.
- If this happens, deactivate
AG2immediately, wait a few seconds, and repeat the process from Step 1.
The missile is 1:1 scaled, and its mass is correct too : 72kg.
Reference document used :
The rail :
Guided Missile Launcher, Model AERO-3B
Everything about this rail has been patiently measured on a real GML kept at my local aviation museum. The size is accurate, the mass too.
Yes, the mass too. I weighted it myself. With a bathroom scale. It weights about 21-22 kg. Also because of that now the SPBC considers me as a f#cking madlad.
About the post :
I made 4 versions of my AIM-9/AERO-3 assembly, for each type of users, and each level of detail.
1) Fully detailed, 72 parts in total. The missile has moving front fins and the launcher has a detailed rail.
2) Detailled missile, but connected to a low part count launcher : 48 parts in total.
3) "Training" Sidewinder. just like the real one, lacks the rollerons and has a different livery, allowing less parts. the front fins don't move and the seeker has been simplified. 29 parts.
4) Ultra-low part count for users that want a realistic missile but don't really care about a 20-30 parts missile [I absolutely ain't targeting BogdanX or MisterT ;) ].
Now, have fun with those !!!
Also, thank you if you leave an upvote !
And if you really enjoy this post, maybe consider a spotlight ? 🥺
Also, huge thanks to MisterT, ollielebananiaCFSP and EternalDarkness for helping me about the screenshots.
P.S. : You can use it on your builds, that's why I made them, just give credit lol
- Created On Windows
- Wingspan 1.3ft (0.4m)
- Length 9.2ft (2.8m)
- Height 7.1ft (2.1m)
- Empty Weight 816lbs (370kg)
- Loaded Weight 816lbs (370kg)
- Wing Loading -439,839.3lbs/ft2 (-2,147,483.6kg/m2)
- Wing Area 0.0ft2 (0.0m2)
- Drag Points 746
- Number of Parts 158
- Control Surfaces 0