please scroll for lower part versions
at a measly 2815 parts, i am proud to say that I have exceeded the capability of my computer to the point at which I can't even test the main version properly. I believe it all works, if not please tell me and I will try to fix the issues. But on the bright side, I believe this to be (one of?) the first fully functioning 'glass' cockpits in simpleplanes, equipped with many features that will be described in image somewhere below. Please note: all of the features in this build have been done before, but I believe I am the first to combine them in this way.
The Sa-2 Samson is a medium utility helicopter from the movie 'avatar'. Comparable in size and role to the UH-60 Black Hawk helicopter (though a lot slower, and capable of carrying less armament), it is mostly designed for moving small numbers of troops and supplies into specific, hard to access locations that conventional troop suppliers would not be able to manage. It is also capable of lifting more than its own weight, with a maximum payload of 9000kg of things. This gives an MTOW of over 15 tonnes.
The observant among you will recognise that this is Samson 16, the main samson used in the movie. I am, for obvious reasons, not building a replica of it after it was blown up.
Here is Samson 16:
- functioning map
- functioning enemy location radar tracker
- main mfd containing all associated things
- engine startup sequence (hence engine delay on activating)
- hyper stable hover
This Samson contains a modified loadout so both air and ground targets can be targeted with missiles. Allegedly this is not what would have been used IRL. Also, the fire rate of the cannons is so ludicrously high that it exceeds the maximum fire rate attainable in simpleplanes.
- 2x 'Hydra' .50cal machine guns
- 2x A-65 AAM (fictional)
- 2x 'Hornet' AGM
They are weird, bear with me
- AG1 = Enable missiles
- AG2 = Enable cannons
- AG3 = Wipers
- AG4 = Nav lights
- AG5 = Engine 1 start
- AG6 = Engine 2 start
- AG7 = Cockpit lighting
- AG8 = Cockpit doors
- VTOL up = Throttle
- Throttle = Coll. lever
- Trim up = Winch down
- Landing Gear = Winch toggle
Lower part versions:
- 1998 parts, this version essentially just has glass cockpit functions and displays removed.
- 1638 parts, this version has the cabin and some of the cockpit (such as rear seats) removed.
- 1172 parts, this version has the entire helicopter stripped down to the shell and the cockpit, which contains only flight controls such as joystick etc.
- 776 parts, this version is a fictional Earth version with wheels, the rest of the cockpit, the winch and the vine strike kit removed.
- good luck getting this thing to pitch/roll past 65 degrees. its really weird, and its not caused by the gyro
- flies best with mouse control or tilt
- realistic start sequence: activate AG8/7, then VTOL up before activating AG6. allow to spin up to speed, then activate AG5 and 4. then, when all rotors are spinning, you may fly
- theoretically capable of carrying 9000kg, but I have only tested up to 5000 due to lag
- main panel labelled
- upper panel labelled (some central switches also work)
- if you can't see the text, open the image in a new tab.
- WIZARD2017: map aesthetics. I have shifted Krakabola position slightly and made my own codes (which tbf turned out the same as WIZARD's), so I apologise to them if I messed it up!
- BagelPlane: enemy position radar.
- PioThePioneer: digital altimeter and speedometer, I was too lazy to work out the code myself.
- AN2Felllla: nice analogue airspeed, altitude and artificial horizons. I wasn't able to make my own at that point due to horrific amounts of lag and my lack of attention span.
- a mysterious fellow who wishes only to be known as "Ash" also did a few screenshots for me, including the one I'm using as the main thumnail.
Thanks to all!
- weebabyseamus 10 days ago
- AN2Felllla 7 days ago
- goboygo1 10 days ago
- MrSilverWolf 10 days ago
- DeathStalker627 11 days ago
- MAHADI 11 days ago
- SneakySniper 10 days ago
- Vercynis 4 days ago
- Freerider2142 10 days ago
- Thecatbaron 11 days ago
- tsampoy 10 days ago
- FishMiner 10 days ago
- AWESOMENESS360 11 days ago
- BuiltBionixInd10 11 days ago
- CrimsonOnigiri 11 days ago
- Username2 11 days ago
- SodiumIodide 10 days ago
- Ergi 11 days ago
- Star737 8 days ago
- Ian_Yashima 11 days ago
- soldier289 7 days ago
- NightmareCorporation 11 days ago
- brians1209 11 days ago
- Memri 11 days ago
- TheNightmareCompany 11 days ago
- tucan 8 days ago
- Predecessor Sa-2
- This plane has been featured
- Created On Windows
- Wingspan 57.7ft (17.6m)
- Length 58.6ft (17.9m)
- Height 19.2ft (5.9m)
- Empty Weight 12,998lbs (5,895kg)
- Loaded Weight 15,074lbs (6,837kg)
- Power/Weight Ratio 13.432
- Wing Loading 214.4lbs/ft2 (1,046.9kg/m2)
- Wing Area 70.3ft2 (6.5m2)
- Drag Points 15732
- Number of Parts 2815
- Control Surfaces 1