As part of the new naval race between the English, Japanese, and Americans, the South Dakota class was ordered in 1920 as a drastic improvement over the Colorado class. The South Dakotas were faster, much more well armed, and a much heavier 47,000 tons of displacement, while retaining 13.5 inches of belt armor. Due to the Washington Naval Treaty, the South Dakota 1920 class was cancelled along with the similar British N3 and Tosa class. These ships would have carried 12 16"/50 guns in 4 turrets, a number not even surpassed in WW2, and thus having a heavier broadside than the Yamato, yet being much slower thanks to the US "Standard" Battleship and lower armor thicknesses.
USS Kansas is a fictional ship of the SD1920 class, where the United States would have agreed to scrap its outdated dreadnoughts of Wyoming and New York classes, in return for completing the Kansas. Kansas is a pre-Pearl Harbor USS BB design, sharing the low-height but enlarged superstructure of New Mexico, replacing the old hyperbolic masts, as well much more AA and a change from casemates to the 5"/38 dual purpose gun in 8 turrets of 2 barrels each.
Being a refitted but pre-Pearl Harbor Standard Battleship, she is slow, carries little AA, and has not been fattened yet with humongous torpedo bulges. The superstructure design also limits the firing arcs of the secondaries, especially the front A secondary turrets, as those are prevented from going their full arc to avoid superstructure damage. Her place in the USN however, allows her to gain access to the most advanced firing control systems and radars of the time.
Since the build is for 1234 part challenge, we knew that everyone would have the same amount of parts. Thus, the ship was budgeted accordingly to meet the goal, and tries to make up in a lack of detail with funky features.
This Simpleplanes version comes with the following:
- Semi-Realistic performance (no one wants to wait 40 seconds for turret rotation, but 15 seconds is good enough)
- Semi-Mobile Friendly, 1234 parts
- Automatic heading and elevation lock for all turret mounts
- Realistic rotation and elevation arc limits for all turrets
- Fire Control System
- 5/38" are dual purpose and have flak rounds
- AA autoturret guns
- (unfortunately) realistic top speed and somewhat realistic turning
- Scale Size
- At spawn, and when no target is selected, the front rangefinder will point north in "standby mode" and as a compass.
- Activate the Fire Control System by selecting a target. Main battery 41.2km FCS range, secondary 15km, AA 5km.
- Press 7 to activate spotlights.
- If the FCS is activated, and the target is within turret firing arc parameters, use Roll/Pitch to adjust the firing if needed.
- Trim: Catapult's rotation
- For antiship: Use 16"/50 Mk2 gun.
- For AA/Secondaries: Use 5"/38 gun. There is one for the left and right side of the ship. Make sure to shoot the side that the target is on.
- For AA: Use 20mm Oerlikons. Press fireguns to fire on the selected target. They cannot be adjusted like the other two and rather have a "sweep" component to them.
- Drive with VTOL and Yaw.
Fire Control System
This ship features a fire control system allowing aiming to be easily done. Main battery turrets lock the target's heading and calculate the projectile motion required to hit it . Of course, there is always lead, so the player uses roll and pitch to adjust the turrets accordingly. This in a sense works realistically, with primitive fire-control computers taking in data and feeding in initial values, while plotters adjust guns based on shell splashes from the initial hits.
The 5"/38 dual mount dual purpose guns work the exact same way, but can be used as AA as well.
- Zzoop: Ideas and work
- NumbersNumbersTheMan : Stuff and the map and images
- Seika: The small admiral's boat and rowboat
- Catbaron: Making it float lmao
- Dllama7: The challenge
- Snowflake0S: Linking the Projectile Motion equation so it could be transferred to FT
642 Part MP / Phone Version
- KerlonceauxIndustries one month ago
- AircraftoftheRedStar 28 days ago
- GrizzlitnCFSP 26 days ago
- aerodummy one month ago
- Thefrenchdude22 29 days ago
- yoshicraze one month ago
- MAHADI one month ago
- RussianAce one month ago
- BoganBoganTheWoman one month ago
- shipster 28 days ago
- CoolPeach one month ago
- Blue0Bull one month ago
- ThomasRoderick one month ago
- Thecatbaron one month ago
- SyntheticL one month ago
- WaffleCakes 27 days ago
- Zanedavid one month ago
- BMilan 29 days ago
- Tabris one month ago
- FishMiner one month ago
- AWESOMENESS360 one month ago
- ChrisChrisThePy one month ago
- Doughnut45 one month ago
- Ghostium one month ago
- Typhoon03 one month ago
- Notaleopard one month ago
- NumbersNumbersTheMan one month ago
- BagelPlane one month ago
- Milanesa one month ago
- SparkySparkyTheFiretruck one month ago
- WarshipWarshipTheDude one month ago
- Highground one month ago
- Being one month ago
- One2 29 days ago
- HeavyHeavytheC22 29 days ago
- Inuyasha8215 29 days ago
- Abdiyanov one month ago
- defquq11 29 days ago
- soldier289 one month ago
- Poomch980 21 days ago
- MobileMobileTheFriendly one month ago
- DarkMarble1 one month ago
- Kaiteniisan one month ago
- KnightOfRen one month ago
- Grob0s0VBRa one month ago
- Predecessor 1234 Part Challenge
- Created On Windows
- Wingspan 112.0ft (34.1m)
- Length 683.9ft (208.4m)
- Height 163.0ft (49.7m)
- Empty Weight 66,758lbs (30,281kg)
- Loaded Weight 81,313lbs (36,883kg)
- Power/Weight Ratio 0.207
- Wing Loading 6,043.4lbs/ft2 (29,506.5kg/m2)
- Wing Area 13.5ft2 (1.3m2)
- Drag Points 68500
- Number of Parts 1234
- Control Surfaces 0