Update 28 August 2019:
In version 1.0 wings have created a big roll moment. This problem was fixed. Now variable wing don't create unexpected physics.
Update 17 August 2019:
I will try to fix colors, but color still differs from game parts color:
I present to you my new mod: Variable wing.
This mod allow you create 3d model of wing with airfoil:
and complicated wing:
Variable wing have no wing physics. It is just 3d model.
Mod contain Variable wing part in Structural category:
Usually at the begin of the description i write about part attributes. But now i show you how to create wing that you can better understand meaning of the attributes.
I recommend you to use default airfoil NACA 0012 in this tutorial.
- First what you should to do - drag the Variable wing part from category. The variable wing will vertical. Press "Q" (if you PC user). Then variable wing become horizontal and right-sided. Attach wing to your airplane:
- Create geometry of wing by using attributes from "Geometry" section:
- Create a airfoil what you want by using attributes from "Airfoil settings" section. Use
- Now time to create control surface and leading edge. Copy the position of wing by Overload mod. After this create 2 copyes of wing. Set their position identical of the original wing and transform it in up direction by nudge amount = 0.2:
In result you should have 3 identical wing.
- "Cut" the leading edge of the original wing. For this set the attribute "Lead percentage" = 80:
After this cut the tail edge of the original wing. For this set the attribute "Tail percentage" = 80:
The original wing become a main part of complicated wing. This part dont moving.
- For creating control surface set the attribute "Lead percentage" = 20 of first copy:
For creating leading edge set the attribute "Tail percentage" = 20 of second copy:
- Transform first and second copy in down direciton by nudge amount = 0.2. You will see that airfoil broken:
- Scroll down to "Advanced settings for control surfaces" section. It is time to repair airfoil of control surface.
- First stage of airfoil repairing: select control surface and use
But the border between main part of wing and control surface still bad. It is time to create tail of main wing more thick. Select main wing and use attribute
- Select leading edge and use attribute
Airfoil was repaired. But wing not ready.
Control surface and leading edge should rotate. But center of rotation - root attach point:
You can see than surface and leading edge has same position like main part of wing. If you attach surface and leading edge to rotator, then it will rotate around root attach point. It need to be fixed.
- Select leading edge and use attribute
Global offset. Transform leading edge to the center of the rotation(to attach points):
- Do the same operation wing control surface:
- Transform surface and leading edge to their position:
You can see than control surface and leading edge was changing. It become after using attribute
Global offset. You should to correct it. Use
Additional tip offsetfor it. Also you can use
Hide attach pointsand then big attach point will not care you:
- It is time to use rotators. Attach your rotators to airplane and after that set the rotators position identical position of the surface and leading edge:
- Copy the position of the surface and leading edge. Attach surface and leading edge to rotator. Set their position back:
- Scale rotators to (0.1,10,0.1):
- Set the correct rotation of the rotators:
- Disable aircraft collision of all parts in this wing and set the low scale of the rotators:
- Right wing is ready:
- Mirror the main part of wing and rotators. After this invert the airfoil on main part of wing, control surface and leading edge:
- Both wings is ready:
Airfoil - exist a 5 types of airfoil in this mod: "NACA 0012", "NACA 66 212", "Clark Y", "Wright", "Bleriot". But if you change it, you will not see new airfoil in designer. You will see it in level. Also, you can save your craft and reload it.
"NACA 0012", "NACA 66 212" -
Two sided airfoils.
"Clark Y", "Wright", "Bleriot" -
Down side airfoil.
Invert offset - invert the
Tip vertical offset and
Global vertical offset. Need for mirroring:
Global vertical offset need for one sided airfoils. You can set correct axis of rotation:
Min lead interior thickness and
Min tail interior thickness need for concave airfoils - Wright and Bleriot. It need to "repair" down side of airfoil:
Attributrs in section "Additional geometry for big wing" need for easily creating big wing:
If you like this mod and want support me, see description of my channel