Profile image

Tutorial: making hollow airliner fuselages and cockpit section

225k TheSavageManZ  2.1 years ago

Hey long time no see! I'm gonna explain how to do hollow fuselages step by step, so that you guys can make your own hollow airliner cockpit sections without using scripts!

Notices before we go:
1. You gotta be pay much attention and patience while building
2. It may take a long time and things unexpected might happen
3. XML modding / laptop is NOT always required

First: get a circular fuselage block with the right dimensions. Using smaller fuselage blocks on the edge of the circle.

Next: rotate each part a certain angle and nudge it precisely so that the surface is smooth. Do the same thing one by one with patience. I would recommend rotating them by 0, 15, 30, 45 degrees. You can complete the circle by mirroring it several times.

Get the right shape with smaller "sticks". Definitely should use a blueprint to help you if you are making a replica.
Warning: this looks simple, but it is the step which directly determines how your plane looks when finished. So be very careful and take some time on this step!

Some example blueprint pictures that are helpful

And it's gonna be window panelling time!

Then add circular fuselage blocks at connecting points. This really helps you do the next step.

Now here's the most difficult and annoying step. Keep adding fuselage sections to the front, follow the frames you previously made and line up with the circules all the time.
Pretty much like the second step, make sure the surfaces stay smooth; you must adjust the run&rise dimensions of the blocks very precisely. (Sometimes even 3 decimal numbers are needed)

You will find the pattern soon. Do one side first and mirror the whole thing to finish it.

Now we're done!
Hours spent: 5 hrs
Device: just iPad

And yes my next plane is gonna be the 787-9, and I will explain some strategies making cockpit interiors as I move on building it, stay tuned.

• Profile image
    30.6k Bife

Thanks for sharing, very helpfull!

10 days ago
  • Profile image

Nice, thanks man @HawaiiRanger

+3 one month ago
  • Profile image
    3,128 HawaiiRanger

There's your 100th upvote on thisThat's the second time today I've given someone their hundredth...
    -HR

one month ago
  • Profile image
    1,851 FireFast212

what are the sizes of the panels in the fuselage? are they just really thin fuselage pieces? thanks!

2 months ago
  • Profile image
    8,249 KLM_747

@QingyuZhou Thank you!

2 months ago
  • Profile image

You CAN still use this technique with new hollow parts, check my il-62 and you’ll see. The window section still requires this method. @klm747klm747

+1 2 months ago
  • Profile image
    8,249 KLM_747

Is this method still used since we have hollow fuse blocks? I sometimes use it because of the annoying hitbox on hollow fuse blocks. Pieces should be able to pass through them and clicking the hollow part shouldn't have you select the thing itself. I hope the devs fix this in 1.10.

2 months ago
  • Profile image

Ha don’t worry I’ll be fine, and actually the mustang is done already @sheepsblood

2 months ago
  • Profile image
    14.8k sheepsblood

@QingyuZhou I think it's only 15 PTS per upvote. Man this will take FOREVER! lol
    Well, you do make excellent crafts and deserve the upvotes.
    I don't want you to rush your P-51. So, I will stop now and just wish you Happy Birthday. Stay safe, don't breath in any viral molecules around 0.12 microns in diameter ;)

+1 2 months ago
  • Profile image

@sheepsblood I mean you can do it later... If I did reach 200k then I'll have to release my 200k special build early (which is the P-51 mustang). Still, thanks for the birthday present, deserves a follow

2 months ago
  • Profile image
    14.8k sheepsblood

@QingyuZhou Oh shit. Thanks for the catch. Definitely Definitely Definitely Definitely Definitely LOL

I may be trying to make you hit 200k ;)

2 months ago
  • Profile image

@sheepsblood But still, thank you for the numerous upvotes!

2 months ago
  • Profile image

@sheepsblood correction: "definitely". When I left my first high school, my crush wrote me a card but misspelled the "definitely" to "defiantly". And I was greatly confused lol

2 months ago
  • Profile image
    14.8k sheepsblood

Thanks for the tutorial. Definitely have helped me

2 months ago
  • Profile image
    4,423 Chenxiang

Thats wayy different than i thought.
    well that complicated

3 months ago
  • Profile image
    8,036 Strucker

I tried to do this once, and I didn’t even know I was doing a method, lets just say, the cockpit was a bit small.

+1 3 months ago
  • Profile image
    56.6k Hedero

Very cool tutorial. Especially because I use an iPad to build all my creations.@QingyuZhou

3 months ago
  • Profile image
    7,553 Zeezar2666

useful tutorial!

+5 4 months ago
  • Profile image

wow next time i make a plane ima use this tutorial

+2 4 months ago
  • Profile image

And I can’t even draw a good 787 nose ;(

+4 5 months ago
  • Profile image
    9,663 Trijets

Thanks for helping out! This was very informative!

+3 5 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,066 Skyler717

Do you build all your aircrafts on ipad cause wow that impressive@QingyuZhou

5 months ago
  • Profile image

I just realized that every time I've tried paneling I've used different corner types and that was screwing it up. I feel really stupid now.

7 months ago
  • Profile image

That's right, glad you find this helpful. @ACEPILOT109

+5 10 months ago
  • Profile image
    79.0k ACEPILOT109

omg this is amazing! I may use this on my Yb-35 that's got hollow paneled wings. so you make those things in the middle and use panels to plate it like formers on a rc foam board plane!

+2 10 months ago