Profile image

[PINNED] Markdown Formatting

25.6k Skua  5.8 years ago

Alright I just wanted to see what actually does and doesn't work in terms of formatting on this site. I'll also add explanations on how to do each one.

A note to anyone reading this: do not abuse the formatting, particularly the headings and in-line images. It just annoys everyone.

Another note: Since this was pinned for everyone to see and the user that posted it is no longer active, I've updated it to be formatted better and add code blocks. Also btw it looks way cooler with my dark theme script - WNP78

Italics, bold, both, italics, bold, both

*Italics*, **bold**, ***both***, _italics_, __bold__, ___both___

Heading 1

Heading 2

Heading 3

Heading 4

Heading 5
Heading 6

Other heading 1

Other heading 2

Other heading 3

Other heading 4

#Heading 1
##Heading 2
###Heading 3
####Heading 4
#####Heading 5
######Heading 6

Other heading 1
======

Other heading 2
=

Other heading 3
------

Other heading 4
-

block quotes

>block quotes

code quotes

`code quotes`

To make a code block like this, leave a blank line before it, then put 4 spaces at the start of each line.

• bullet point

1. numbering

2. and indenting

• alternative bullet point

• and more indenting!

• next bullet point

Nested lists seem to have weird spacing issues on aircraft descriptions and comments sometimes. There must be a blank space before the start of the list.

- bullet point
  1. numbering
  2. and indenting
    * alternative bullet point
    * and more indenting!
- next bullet point

Section breaks - the horizontal lines I'm using to break this all up - are three underscores in a row.

___

alt text

![alt text](https://www.simpleplanes.com/Content/img/logo.png)

Notes:

• Imgur images embedded in the site don't work because of them blocking requests with origin of this site. Some people get around this by changing the link from https to http, but this can cause security warnings in some browsers.
  • Images can be placed in the text section of links, making it a clickable image.

Stuff that doesn't work:

• the less than symbol ( < ) doesn't work if immediately followed by a letter
  • strikethrough and superscript don't work at all
  • tables
  • checklists
  • Profile image
    1,330 X99STRIKER

It doesn’t work when I make it a link?

3 hours ago
  • Profile image
    1,330 X99STRIKER

rick

3 hours ago
  • Profile image

Is there a certain requirement or waiting period before images you post in the description of your aircraft show up? I can get the link but I can't get the actual photo to show in the description like many other aircraft on the site.
    It's a real pain in the neck right now.

+1 7 days ago
  • Profile image
    1,551 Planemonster

tests test test

+1 10 days ago
  • Profile image
    5,766 Baelzzz
    E
    +1 15 days ago
  • Profile image
    2,444 Formula350

@Amirabadi Sorry for not replying, I don't pop in here often and so I didn't see your question. :(
    Yea the guide above is lacking that, even though it actually ALMOST provides the info... lol
    It's the same as for adding images, except no use of !.
    [text to become a link](https://link.goeshere.com)
    Turns into:
    text to convert to link
    You can also take it FURTHER, by making it so Images can be clickable Links -- which I find handy, since this site will shrink pictures you post (pics do not work inside Comments though).
    For that, you have to "nest" the image code inside the Link. So instead of the Text inside [] you place the entire Image code. Using the above provided image, that would look like this:
    [![](https://www.simpleplanes.com/Content/img/logo.png)](https://www.simpleplanes.com/Content/img/logo.png)
    That would display the Simple Planes logo pic, and let you click it to view it on its own. The ITALICS text is the Image code which is nested inside the BOLD text which is the Link code. (I know, kinda hard to follow, but is honestly a fringe case anyhow)

@WNP78 Maybe you can edit to add that into, or at least the Link part, the original post?
    If so, I'd recommend adding that in order to use some characters, it needs to be Escaped with a \ first in order to override the Markdown.
    Also that it seems that the < part is no longer an issue (as I'm editing this because I had included it as an example): <test>
    (For anyone else reading this part, that's how I went about typing the above link examples without them actually turning into links; and to make that \ I had to type \\ to escape the first slash heh)
    EDIT: Oh, and of course include that using code text is... NOT friendly at all to actual code as I've mentioned below. Mainly that common characters in code get converted to HTML Encoding? (Or something)
    EXAMPLE: &lt;text> [text] (text) {text} !Exclamation &quot;Quote
    &#39;Apostrophe ,Comma \Backslash /Forwardslash _Underscore
    +Plus =Equals &amp;Ampersand etc etc

(Oooh that's where the <+text fails, in the code blocks haha)

+1 one month ago
  • Profile image
    1,285 Amirabadi

how to link another thing i dont know how to say for example you guide readers to other link you type here and it is blue they click it and another tab is opened how to do it?

+1 2 months ago
  • Profile image
    1,285 Amirabadi

@Formula350 thanks

+1 2 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,444 Formula350

@PSsyalperdna
    Lets see if I understand it...
    test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1 test text line 1
    test text line 2 test text line 2 test text line 2 test text line 2 test text line 2 test text line 2
    test text line 3
    test text line 4

EDIT: Ok, so it still sucks since it doesn't do word-wraping but here's how to do it...
    [] = hitting spacebar ONCE
    ```
    [][][][]type your first line here, just remember that if it's too long, it will be cut off!
    [][][][]type your next line here, and same limit of text, so it can't be too long.
    [][][][]line 3
    [][][][]line 4 etc
    ```
    That will, after replacing [][][][] with 4-spaces, result in this:

type your first line here, just remember that if it&#39;s too long, it will be cut off!
    type your next line here, and same limit of text, so it can&#39;t be too long.
    line 3
    line 4 etc

+2 2 months ago
  • Profile image
    2,444 Formula350

@Amirabadi You cannot enter "line breaks" (making a new line) from in game while sharing, unfortunately. :(
    That leaves you with basically two choices...
    A) Take your pictures, add a title, and then at the bottom change it from Public to Unlisted, and Share.
    Then, once it's uploaded and it opens your browser to that page, Log-In to your account on the website (if it isn't already; mine generally is) and go back to that page.
    At the top right, BELOW where the big blue Download button is, you'll see where it says "0 downloads [ v ]".
    Click on the [ v ] to expand a new menu. Inside that will be an option to "Edit".
    NOW you can go in and add line-breaks, add formatting (like bold and italics, etc), and make it look nicer.
    After you've typed everything you want, save it.
    Once again, click on the [ v ], but this time select "Publish", and that will make it so everyone can see it since it will show up in the Airplanes list.
    B) Type up the info you want in-game before sharing, like you have been. Maybe leave some obvious placeholder where you intended there to be line-breaks, so it makes it quicker for you once you've uploaded (I usually just hit the spacebar 5 times to do this).
    Now, same as above, when you've shared it and it opens your browser, you'll click on [ v ] and select "Edit", then go in to replace your placeholders with line-breaks.

I usually go with option B, because I've found that uploading Unlisted ones still counts towards your daily upload limit (I think of 3?), and then Publishing it seems to ALSO count towards the limit... Or at least that's what happened when I tried to publish one an hour after uploading it, but I digress...
    What I do is just, in game, type in the bulk of the info I can (until it's too small for me to read anymore), adding a note at the bottom like [MORE DETAILS TO BE ADDED IN A MOMENT].
    Then during the short time it's unlisted while it's "Publishing...", I'll edit the description on the website, periodically Saving the description to update it in semi-real time for anyone checking it out. Usually I'm adding in the description about controls or takeoff procedure, so once I've finished the controls I'll save, then go back and start with takeoff procedure, save again, come back for landing procedure, etc etc etc.
    Not ideal, admittedly. But neither is having to deal with the limited shares in a 24hr period :P

+2 2 months ago
  • Profile image
    1,285 Amirabadi

!1

+1 2 months ago
  • Profile image

!(https://www.simpleplanes.com/Content/img/logo.png)

+1 2 months ago
  • Profile image

! (http://i.imgur.com/6uVbwra.jpg)

+1 2 months ago
  • Profile image
    1,285 Amirabadi

How to go to the next line i cant enter the next line while sharing

+1 2 months ago
  • Profile image
    0 Kutub

Thanks For this Wonderful Article!
    Instagram fonts