So earlier today, I decided I'd have some good ol' grilled cheese for lunch. However, there was no cheddar, but we happened to have a bunch of mozzarella. Here's the result. After letting my younger brother and mother try it, I figured this was too good a recipe NOT to share. I kid you not when I say THIS IS THE BEST GRILLED CHEESE IVE EVER HAD.
[REDACTED]-family style grilled cheese
(Redacted because it contains my surname)
- 2 5/8" thick slices of Amish White Bread (we make our own bread at my house, Dad and I bake them daily)
- 1.5oz shredded mozzarella cheese
- 0.5oz pepperoni (I used 5 slices, each were about 1/16" thick and 1 1/4" in diameter)
- 1/4tsp garlic powder
- 1/4tsp onion powder
- 1Tbsp butter
1. Set your heat to medium-low, set a 10" nonstick skillet on the burner
2. While your pan is heating up, spread roughly half of your mozzarella over one slice of bread. Take your pepperoni, and evenly cover the mozzarella. Cover the pepperoni layer with the remaining cheese.
3. After placing the second slice on top, reduce your heat to low. Put your butter in the pan, and wait for it to fully melt.
4. Add the garlic and onion powder directly to the butter, mix with a silicone spatula thoroughly.
5. Using a proper spatula, move your uncooked sandwich to the center of the pan. Leave some butter lying around near the edges for the other side of the sandwich. If you want the inside to be evenly melted, smash the sandwich with the spatula, making it as flat as possible.
6. Cover the pan with a lid, and let rest approximately 4 minutes, adjust as needed for preferences.
7. Flip the sandwich after your alotted time is up, and wait the same amount of time.
8. Remove the sandwich and the pan from the heat source. Place the sandwich onto a cutting board, and cut into two halves with the spatula, either diagonally or down the center. DO NOT CUT 100% THROUGH, IT'LL RUIN THE EFFECT.
9. Slowly separate the two halves, watching the mozzarella stretch and stretch
10. With the halves partly separated, carefully move to a plate and serve with a side of your choice.