Profile image

How To Make Decent Planes

21.6k Krmo  12 days ago

Here are a few quirks that might make your next plane just a bit better.

Don't take anything to seriously, there are many other better people out there, but hopefully they can agree on what I'm about to say.

This will be a list of things, ranging from the most trivial, to the most specific.
Hopefully, this way, anyone could get something from this. If you have anything to add, comment it down below for the others to see.

Number 1:

Using blueprints

I think we all know this one, but there are still some people who don't use them. All you have to do is look up the length or any other valuable dimension of your plane, make a foundation, scale a blueprint image, and off you go.

(you can use the Designer Suite Tool, as it is a lot better than the default blueprint viewer.)

Number 2:

Use Overload and Fine Tuner mods

There is a built in fine tuner, but this is just to endorse its use. Your builds will benefit massively. All the way from making small bits, to rotating wings, etc.

Number 3:

Using your Overload mod to make your plane behave normally.

There are a lot of options and properties in the overload of each part. The main ones you should focus on are: Mass scale, Drag scale, disableAircraftCollisions and calculateDrag.

Mass scale can help you make weightless or lighter parts, and it can be used to solve random physics bending problems. (If your part is behaving strangely /bending/ increasing its mass may be the solution)

Drag scale will help you reduce the drag of your plane. The common drag points for a jet fighter range from 1000 to 2500, depending on the plane.

disableAircraftCollisions does just what it says. It disables parts from colliding with eachother, thus preventing damage and smashing noises, and at the same time allowing you to make working landing gear that retracts into the fuselage.

calculateDrag is similar to drag scale, but its just a true or false. Use it to reduce the work load on computers. On parts where you set DragScale to 0, you can eaasily set calculateDrag to false, thus the game doesn't have to calculate the drag of that part.

Number 4:

Proper engine power scaling.

There are multiple ways to scale your engine power correctly. In both of them you have to look up the actual power of the engine. (wiki or sth)

(use the basic power number, not the afterburner one, that one will come into play later)

After that, look at the power output of your in-game engine.

We can see that the desired engine power is 38.7kN, and our engine is producing 15kN. Divide the desired value by the actual one, to get a power multiplier. In this case: 2.58. This means, that we want our engine to be 2.58 times more powerful then what it is now.

Open the overload (xml) menu on the engine part and set the value:

Here you can also see the possibility to change the smoke color along with the smoke size - very useful.

Number 5:

Setting proper drag points.

I see a lot of excellent builds with ridiculous drag points. If you have followed the engine power scaling step, this shouldn't be a problem. There is no other way to get the proper top speed of your plane, other than by having the correct amount of drag points.

First of all, you need to identify the plane's top speed. DO NOT USE THE WIKI NUMBER, that is the all time maximum, achieved on a minimum fuel load and at high alt. There is no plane that goes above 800knots at sea level. You can follow War Thunder's top speeds at sea level, but please do decrease them a bit. Going supersonic at sea level is a very hard thing to do.

Set your Speed indicator to TAS (click on it), level the plane at sea level and you will eventually get your top speed. Manipulate the plane's drag points to get the proper top speed. Note that the top speed is measured on a clean plane with minimal fuel. I recommend you do just that.

Number 6:

Making wings.

Here is a fantastic guide on the basics of making wings.

I'll be focusing on how to make the wing surface.

Make your standard wing, following the basic blueprint shape and size.

After that, scale it down using overload, so that you can hide it into the custom made wing. This will only scale the visual bit, not the functional lifting surface.

Number 7:

Making your wings realistic

If you want your plane to fly realistically, it needs to have the proper wing type, scale and wing loading.

Look up your plane's surface area and set the weight of your plane to a plausible number.

After that, divide the weight of your in-game plane by the actual wing area. That will give you the actual wing loading of the plane at it's desired configuration. Try to perfectly achieve it by editing the size of the wings.

As for choosing the proper wing type, take a look at a brilliant examination of the game's airfoils. Think of your aircraft. Maybe it can hold higher angles of attack, maybe its a bit faster, maybe it can fly at very low speeds,... Anyway, use the proper airfoil.

If you are worried about your plane not having the proper turn rate, don't be. At this point in time, it's very hard to have a plane that turns too hard. My planes usually turn a couple of degrees per second slower than they should be. I'll get into measuring the turn rate at the end of the text, all the way at Dev Console.

Number 8:

Afterburners

Here is a quick demonstration on how to make custom afterburners. You will need to do the same kind of power scaling as on the regular engines. this time, calculate how much thrust the ab provides, and work with that number.

Number 9:

Rotator basics

You can do a lot of wonderful things with a rotator. Here is an explanation of its unique overload functions:

DamperMultiplier dampens the movement at the edges of the rotation. Interesting to work with when making control surfaces.

DisableBaseMesh disables the massive default base. of the rotator.

min and max control the movement allowed by the rotator. If you set min to 0, it will not move in the negative direction, only in the positive. This is useful for flaps or landing gear.

Input is the most important one. Take a look at Input guide to get an idea on what you can use to make your plane fly like a fly-by-wire aircraft.

zeroOnDeactivate will reset the rotator to its default position when the activation group is deactivated.

Number 10:

Paneling

Oh boy, this one sure is something. Paneling is one of the hardest things to do, but it is almost necessary to do if you are making a cockpit or any kind of interior. I feel like I shouldn't really be teaching this elite skill, as I am relatively bad at is, but here are a few pictures to give you an idea as to how to structure your paneling to make it work.

It's all about overlapping and finding the exact rotation, size and position. It takes a lot of time and effort. Don't be discouraged when your paneling doesn't look proper, mine still doesn't.

Number 11:

My personal favourite: Canopy Edges

Most beginner canopies look like this:

Simply by adding a lip at the side of the canopy (as mostly every single plane has), you can turn your disaster of a canopy into something like this:

It isn't a drastic difference, but it does in my opinion show your dedication, attention to detail and the quality of the build. You can easily identify the skill of a builder simply by looking at a commonly found detail like this one.

Number 12:

The final note: Dev console and Presentation

The developer console is one of the most important tools at your disposal. You can monitor the plane's G forces, AoA, rate of turn, etc. But you can also change the Fov of the camera, giving you the ability to take wonderful screenshots.

You can access it by pressing "tilde", a button left of the number 1 on the left upper side of the keyboard. (at least that's how I access it)

Once you have done so, you will see a window appear:

In it, you can type a lot of things.
To change the FOV: //MainCamera>Camera.set_FieldOfView 20
(change 20 to whatever you want, the default is 60)
To display pefrormance: DebugExpression ()
Inside the brackets you can put many functions such as GForce, AngleOfAttack, rate(Heading), rate(Altitude), RollRate,....

as such: DebugExpression (GForce)

Also: RayTracing and Reshade are extremely helpful when taking screenshots.
Here is a guide to installing and using them.

That should be it. Hopefully I made everything somewhat clear, and that I haven't said anything that would be considered wrong.

If you have any other tips or corrections, please comment them.

• Profile image
    165k AN2Felllla

With the flight model, I start with getting the wing area accurate, then I adjust the drag to get the glide ratio accurate, then I adjust the power to get the rate of climb accurate, then I fine tune the drag and thrust to get the top speed accurate, then I do the fancy prop wash and prop torque stuff, then I adjust the elevator angle to get it flying straight or realistically.

Pinned 12 days ago
  • Profile image
    31.0k Mostly

I agree with a lot of the stuff here, though I'm against trying to replicate thrust. SP physics are pretty janky, and so is drag. One of the better solutions to getting a good flight model would be to XML edit all of the drag from the plane (depending on the size). Let's say you're making an F-18. You should xml edit until your drag points pretty low - Maybe somewhere between 0 and 1000. Once the drag is removed, there really isn't a point in keeping the engine thrust accurate to the real thing.

Pinned 12 days ago
  • Profile image
    2,123 Dathcha

Ye
    @Krmo

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@Embo german corsair vibes

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    2,123 Dathcha

Pfffff just put blocks and jet engines together, paint it random neon colors and you’re set

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@AN2Felllla I added in a link to your "lift per wing type" forum post in section 7.
    Hopefully you don't mind that.

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@ChrisPy added the drag points thing.

+1 11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@ChrisPy lol you actually did it

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    11.3k ChrisPy

Also you should add a section for wing area and wing loading the two most important things to a flight model other than speed

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    11.3k ChrisPy

Lmfao look at my bio

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    11.3k ChrisPy

Thank you for making this... I will make sure to put this on my bio and link stupid builders to it when they set their engine power to 3000 bc each time I have to explain this shit over and over. But you are missing something. You need to tell them that now that you have realistic engine power you need to have drag points which make sure top speed is realistic. You need to USE TAS when calculating the top speed.

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@Timothius no problem

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    900 Timothius

ok, thanks for the help that you tried to give me
    @Krmo

+2 11 days ago
  • Profile image
    15.9k RandomUser09

@Krmo mabye it's a outdated version.

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@RandomUser09 seems strange yes

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    15.9k RandomUser09

@Timothius @Krmo kinda Sus.

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@Timothius you are missing the one thing that you need. Im afraid I cant help you here.

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    900 Timothius
    11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@RandomUser09 Yeah, I'm not as good at explaining things as I'd like to be. Still tried though.

11 days ago
  • Profile image
    15.9k RandomUser09

@Krmo complicated but nice tutorial.

+1 11 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@Kangy Glad to help!

+1 12 days ago
  • Profile image
    6,848 Kangy

I can now
    This is so helpful thanks for making it :) @Krmo

12 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@Timothius I have no idea where we are at right now. Can you share a screenshot of what you see? (upload to discord / imgur and share the link with me)

12 days ago
  • Profile image
    21.6k Krmo

@Kangy You can't see the pics?

+1 12 days ago
  • Profile image
    900 Timothius

no, I do not
    @Krmo

12 days ago