Profile image

HOW TO AVOID UPVOTES

17.7k F104Deathtrap  9 months ago

A BEGINNERS GUIDE ON HOW TO

A V O I D

GETTING UPVOTES ON SIMPLE PLANES

By following these seven easy mistakes, you too can post creations that are certain to be ignored.

1) Zoom out:

Zoom way out on those thumbnail pictures, people hate it. They'll be sure to skip right over your post when all they see is a grey plate in the middle of a black background, especially when everyone else on the list did the exact same thing! A big long line of silver ovals. Awful.

2) Don't bother with a description:

If someone actually clicks on your post, you are in real danger of getting upvotes, or even worse: downloads! But don't worry, nothing says "zero effort" like not even bothering to fill out a description. Bonus points if you upload without using all 3 thumbnail images.

3) Avoid testing:

Establish a reputation for rock-bottom quality by posting your creations before you test them. Bonus points if you argue with anyone who takes the time to point out any of the crap that needs to get fixed. This won't just help you avoid upvotes on your current project, but help people avoid your work in the future!

4) Post lots of stuff on the same day:

One of the best ways to cut down your odds of success is to compete with yourself! Split your odds of making it to the dreaded "front page" by posting something, making some minor change, and then posting it again 20 minutes later. Not only will it confuse would-be supporters, but it'll also irritate them.

5) Post similar things over and over again:

The key here is to bore your audience. Just keep churning out the same old junk. Don't bother improving your style or even making something different than anything else. Bonus points if you can argue with anyone that tries to help you improve your skills with criticism. This ties in with establishing a reputation for just not giving a crap.

6) Make it a successor:

The dev team will probably hate me for saying this, but everyone hates successors. Many people see that tag at the top of the post and immediately hit the back button on their browser. Even high quality successor builds tend to get less upvotes than those lacking the successor tab.
IMPORTANT NOTE: UNLESS YOU GET PERMISSION FROM THE ORIGINAL CREATOR, YOU MUST USE THE SUCCESSOR TAG IF UPLOADING SOMETHING THAT CONTAINS ANYONE ELSE'S WORK. YOU CAN GET BANNED FOR VIOLATING THIS RULE.

7) Avoid detail:

I saved this one for last because it's so important when it comes to shunning large numbers of upvotes. If your creation looks like crap, people will likely treat it as such. Interesting thumbnail photos with background, a variety of angles, and lots of texture dominate the front page. If you want to avoid upvotes, you must stay off the front page. So keep it simple. Don't learn how to do things like 3D wings, decals, custom cockpits or engines. And whatever you do, do not download and study successful builds from other people otherwise you might learn something.

Well, that's all for now. Stay safe out there and good luck. Oh, and be sure to leave any tips of your own in the comments!

• Profile image

8) use excessive alternative text

many people getrather annoyed

when people use these fonts a lot,
               and it also makes reading the comment 

a real eyesore.
    So be sure to not

use text like this

every five minutes, or else people might find you to be

u n p l e a s a n t

Pinned 9 months ago
  • Profile image
    31.0k Mostly

Why DO i hAve 70 DownLoads BuT noT 70 UPVoTES!!?/

Pinned 9 months ago
  • Profile image

34) If it exists, there are reuploads adding missiles

6 months ago
  • Profile image

Hey, F104, how did I do on my Type 5 light fighter?

6 months ago
  • Profile image
    30.1k tsampoy

use blocks

+7 9 months ago
  • Profile image
    37.8k KnightOfRen

10) Don't paint your plane

Nothing says no effort as well as no paint. If you leave your plane in plain white and orange, people will probably not want to look at it.

+5 9 months ago
  • Profile image

I've made it so that the only suspension is from the shocks holding it up, but that didn't work.

9 months ago
  • Profile image

@TanksWorldwide Hmmmm, try disabling the suspension

9 months ago
  • Profile image

@F104Deathtrap
    I've tried, it didn't work out because my phone gets really saggy when I use high physics, and low physics breaks the tracks and makes them.wobble like a b-word

+1 9 months ago
  • Profile image
    7,977 UraniumOxide

This has given me a cluster headache.

+1 9 months ago
  • Profile image

wow thank you! ive needed this for 2.5 years!

+1 9 months ago
  • Profile image

@Mostly
    I've had 430 downloads and only 20 upvotes. XD

9 months ago
  • Profile image

(referring to point 6) i love when there are tons of kids that put shitty builds with altered colors or some shitty plane under the successor zone of some famous build

+3 9 months ago
  • Profile image
    22.3k NonameMini

@CenturyAerospace we don't talk about that

+4 9 months ago
  • Profile image

@SodiumChloride I know an example where something was low quality and it got a ton of upvotes (266 upvotes to be exact)

9 months ago
  • Profile image

@Numbers One time I made a successor to the highest rated tank I could find, but I deleted all the connections in it. In the thumbnails it looked awesome, but it would completely disintegrate into a pile of blocks and blow away when you tried to drive it.

+5 9 months ago
  • Profile image
    22.3k NonameMini

Oh look I spotted another Belphegor

+1 9 months ago
  • Profile image

10) Make it low quality

Don’t bother to learn how to use fusulages, or properly place wings and landing gear.

Use all block construction, or even make it out of fuel tanks

+1 9 months ago
  • Profile image
    32.8k SodiumIodide

9) Avoid Good Thumbnails

• Have your brightness on your monitor turned all the way up, so the final product (the thumbnail) is a lot darker.
    • Make sure that the plane's colours blend into the background of your thumbnail, making the plane nearly impossible to see.
    • Use basic colour filters to turn up or down the saturation when editting the thumbnail
    +10 9 months ago
  • Profile image
    166k AN2Felllla

Some people are really succeeding with this

+9 9 months ago
  • Profile image

Why do I have 7 downloads and 15 upvotes? @Mostly

9 months ago
  • Profile image

unfortunately a great number of white ranked users who really need to see this won't read it.

+8 9 months ago
  • Profile image

i use the formatting stuff way too much but its not super overkill
    @AWESOMENESS360

9 months ago
  • Profile image

@F104Deathtrap Thats due to having hundreds more builds =) Its like the download to upvote ratio.

+1 9 months ago
  • Profile image
    1,829 DeltaLCI

i follow two of these rules and one of them is build quality

9 months ago