Welcome to the General Aviation challenge. Thanks for stopping by.
Deadline is March the 1st.
If you accept the challenge, your goal is to make a General Aviation aircraft. That is an aircraft intended for personal use. I will not be accepting private jets, dedicated cargo planes, helicopters and ultralight aircraft into this challenge, as I consider those to be separate categories. I will allow one entry per user per category.
- Your entry must be a new and original build;
- Intended purpose of your design must be personal transport;
- Your entry must be a propeller-driven GA aircraft for personal transport that is not ultralight;
- Your plane must provide seating for two to ten people including crew. Single seater sports/ultralights and 11+ seat mini liners will not be accepted;
- Your plane may be a replica or a fictional design, but must be realistic;
- Your entry must be flyable aircraft. If I can't get it off the ground, it'll be disqualified;
- Your entry must contain at least 150 parts;
- Your entry must contain fewer than 1000 parts;
- XML editing is allowed and encouraged. Mod parts are forbidden, and entries containing mod parts will be tested with mod parts removed;
- Entry must be tagged with "General Aviation" tag;
- Entry must have description. If you can't write one yourself due to language issue, ask a friend to do it for you;
- Entry must be a successor to the challenge post.
- I will be comparing the plane with closest real life plane to assess its seating capacity.
I keep the right to accept planes with fewer than 150 and more than 1000 parts if I really like them. Such exception will be fined with
5 points for failing to fit the requirements, and I will request a version with reduced part count if I can't run the original.
Entries will be divided into two categories: single engine and twin engine.
Each category will have its three winners (first, second, and third place), and I will select an overall winner.
- Design: Does it look like a GA plane? Is it proportional? If it's a replica, how accurate is it?
- Performance: Does it fly like a comparable real plane? I will be looking at max speed, rate of climb, gliding performance...
- Paint scheme: GA planes are always painted to look nice. Yours shouldn't be an exception.
- Build quality: Smoothness, efficiency in using parts, custom parts (gear, surfaces).
- Personal impression: Did I enjoy flying it? Do I consider it good looking?
- Description: Does it contain pictures? Does it describe the plane? Does it provide instructions?
-Winner of the challenge - 10 upvotes and 3 spotlights;
- 1st place in the category - 8 upvotes and 2 spotlight;
- 2nd place in the category - 5 upvotes and a spotlight on the entry;
- 3rd place in the category - 3 upvotes and a spotlight on the entry;
- Every entry - upvote.
If it's a collaboration project, builders will share the reward. If the reward can't be shared between two builders, like 3 upvotes, both builders will receive 2 upvotes. Same with spotlights.
If you don't understand something, feel free to ask.
Do your best. Just because a high level builder posted a good entry, doesn't mean you can't beat him with a bit of effort.
I will not provide feedback on your entries until I start judging, except to inform those with unsuitable builds that they can't compete.
A few advices:
- Do your research. Read about planes similar to your design (or about your design, if it's a replica);
- Pay attention to details. Look up pictures. Every one of those little antennas, bulges, and holes has a purpose. Try to put them on your build;
- Try to find a cutaway of an aircraft similar to yours. It will tell you what goes where;
- Here are some suggestions if you can't find a nice GA plane to build.
- Successors 40 airplane(s) +3683 bonus
- Created On Windows
- Wingspan 24.6ft (7.5m)
- Length 6.8ft (2.1m)
- Height 24.6ft (7.5m)
- Empty Weight 3,687lbs (1,672kg)
- Loaded Weight 3,687lbs (1,672kg)
- Wing Loading -439,839.3lbs/ft2 (-2,147,483.6kg/m2)
- Wing Area 0.0ft2 (0.0m2)
- Drag Points 52300
- Number of Parts 49
- Control Surfaces 0