Profile image

What happened to Trump's plane after he became president?

31.7k DerekSP  1.6 years ago

He uses Air Force One now, so his Boeing 757 was bought by a water pump manufacturer.

EDIT: it's actually a 757X I'm working on. A concept that was very likely to happen until boeing recently killed it

Original plane

I'm sorry

• Profile image
    997 Tankace1

Trump still owns the plane why would he sell it some of the interior parts are made of solid gold

+1 1.4 years ago
  • Profile image
    31.7k DerekSP

@JohnnyBoythePilot Yeah, I've actually noticed that only few freighters are Airbus, and looked into the matter because it got me curious. But AFAIK Airbus is trying to push their A330 to cargo airlines, if I remember correctly couple months (or maybe even a year?) ago they kept bragging about how they're going to improve the A330F to make it more effective.
    I'm actually wondering what plane will replace cargo 747s and DC10s/MD11s, because I doubt a freighter 777 or A330 will be able to carry as much as those planes.

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image

@DerekSP
    Also, notice how freight operators almost always operate either Boeing, McDonnell Douglas, or older Airbus aircraft? Most airbuses in freight service are older models like the A300 or A310. I think this is because newer airbus models are too specialized in passenger service. Not saying this is bad, but when Airbus aircraft retire, most of the time they retire for good.

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image

@DerekSP Oh yes definitely the 757 can still fly, but parts would start to dry up and it wouldn't really be economical to operate it. However I can still see it soldiering on in freight service, as more than likely when passenger 757 operators retire their 757's, most likely the freight operators will buy them to either convert them to freighters or use them for spare parts. Well after the 727 was retired FedEx, Kalitta and other cargo operators still used the 727 heavily for freight service. Barely in 2013 was when FedEx retired the 727. Kallita Air Charters still heavily uses 727's and DC-9's as freighters. It will be the same case for the DC-10/MD-11, 747, 757, 767 and the 777. Even after passenger service ends these aircraft can also be refitted to be incredible freighter aircraft.

Yea it will be sad to see the 757 go. It was truly the hotrod of airliners.

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image
    31.7k DerekSP

@JohnnyBoythePilot after 2025, wouldn't they still be used by fright carriers? Because they have much less flight hours than passenger ones? I see UPS is still opening new lines over Europe with 757s.
    And still, it will be sad to see the 757 go, it's one of the planeiest plane out there

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image

@DerekSP
    No no no, the 797 will have the 4 large displays that are in the 787, 737 MAX, and the 777x cockpits. Ever since the 787, Boeing is making all new designs (or improved ones such as the 737 MAX or 777X) have similarly laid out cockpits so it's very easy for pilots to transfer between airplanes. Airbus uses the same concept on all their aircraft. Their cockpits are different sizes but they are laid out almost exactly the same. Same case for the Boeing 787, 737 MAX, and the 777X (and upcoming 797). The A321 IMHO is a good stop-gap measure for the 757, but the 757 is too good at what it does, and only Boeing can develop a true replacement. They predicted the remaining 757's will become much harder to maintain and operate as it gets older and 2025 is predicted to be the end of the 757's lifetime/usefullness. By then parts will get expensive as they get used up and the 757 won't be economical anymore.

So there may not be a market demand for the 797 now, but when the 757's start to retire as they come to the end of their lives, then there will be a demand for a true 757 replacement and that is the 797.

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image
    31.7k DerekSP

@JohnnyBoythePilot Well, that kinda backfired, didn't it? I mean, a 757 replacement with 737 cockpit will not allow crews to simply transfer, and many airlines have reportedly lost interest in the 797 as a 757 replacement, looking at A321s and maybe A350s

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image

@DerekSP
    From what I heard, believe it or not Boeing is keeping the fuselage aluminum. So at my local airport about last year or so, I met a Boeing Engineer who said that the Boeing 797 was going to be "as low-risk as possible". He said it's going to use an aluminum fuselage, which from recent concept photos looks like a 757 fuselage, it will feature carbon-fiber raked wings like the 787, and of course it will use newer engines. Most likely it will also use the 787/737 MAX/777X cockpit. He said Boeing went through so much pioneering and investing in the new technology in the 787, it was very very difficult with multiple delays and issues, so the 797 essentially is using ingredients and lessons learned from previous designs to combine them into the perfect 757 replacement that didn't take much resources or money to develop. I also assume low-risk means that if Boeing develops the 797, and there is no market for it, then it won't hurt Boeing that much since the airplane wasn't that hard to develop.

Another interesting thing he told me was that Boeing is currently developing camera technology that will essentially replace cockpit windows with cameras that project the outside world inside the cockpit on large screens. However only 2 large front facing windows would remain. Not sure if this will be a new standard, as it's cheaper to just go with windows instead of projectors, but he said Boeing is pretty much working on the technology you see in Ace Combat 3. (he didn't mention Ace Combat 3 but I'm just saying the camera COFFIN cockpit you see in AC3 is becoming a reality, minus the neural-flight interface). He's a pretty smart guy and is one of the more higher-up engineers at Boeing, so he gets to see a lot of the new technology, but I'm not sure if he was exactly allowed to tell anyone about this so I won't mention anything else about him. I hope Boeing doesn't see this lol

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image
    31.7k DerekSP

@JohnnyBoythePilot you mean all composite fuselage, no?

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image
    5,654 Lahoski107

@JohnnyBoythePilot @DerekSP if there is a 797, its jets may have a 20:1 bypass ratio

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image

@DerekSP
    Oh yea, the new 797 is essentially an all-aluminum 757 fuselage (with improvements) coupled with carbon fiber wings and of course newer, more powerful and efficient engines. Basically the 757 but reborn with a different name. I also assume the flight deck will be the same as the 787, 737 MAX, and the 777X. Here is the concept so far.

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image

@DerekSP
    Lol it'll be gone today once I upload my new fighter.

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image
    31.7k DerekSP

@JohnnyBoythePilot @dootdootbananabus oh damn johnnyboy dont do ANYTHING you have to keep that point count

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image
    159k QingyuZhou

The US Government Air Force Two is also a 757.

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image
    159k QingyuZhou

Lol yeah

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image

One does not simply get rid of a 757...

1.6 years ago
  • Profile image

Any plane he is in is airforce one. Also he probably still has it and he will probably use it when he is not president anymore

+1 1.6 years ago